We want to make every ride with Hitch comfortable for our riders and drivers. The guidelines in this section help to foster positive interactions within our diverse community during every experience.
Treat everyone with respect
We've created these standards for all contact points while using our service. This includes while interacting with our Customer Experience team, drivers, and other riders in your shared ride.
With the use of our app and platform, you agree to the following to help make every experience respectful, positive, and safe:
For your ride:
- Please be on time for your scheduled ride, at the pickup location. Our drivers will only wait 10 minutes after your chosen departure time before leaving to avoid impacting other scheduled rides. We do take a pretty firm stance on this one to keep our platform moving along smoothly.
- Please buckle up. Safety is our first priority, not to mention it's the law.
- No smoking or vaping.
- No drinking or open containers of alcoholic beverages allowed.
- Please ask your driver before eating or drinking during your ride — their car, their rules on this one.
- Please be kind and respectful. Always. Words matter.
- We kindly suggest that you avoid conversations and topics that may be controversial or offensive in nature so everyone always feels safe and comfortable. Aggressive, confrontational, and harassing behavior is never tolerated. Keep conversations casual and friendly.
- When possible, opt for the backseat during solo rides to maximize personal space and practice proper social distancing.
- All contact should end with drivers and other riders once the trip is completed.
- Please communicate at the start of the ride any needs you may have for rest stops so the driver can be sure to accommodate you if possible.
- Pickups and drop-offs should only occur at our designated locations. All Hitch rides must stop and start at our locations.
- For safety for all involved, all riders must ride on their own profile, with their real names. You can purchase rides for your friends and family on your profile - but please have them create their own. We're happy to move the purchased ride to their profile.
- Please leave the station with your assigned driver.
Sexual assault and misconduct
Sexual assault and sexual misconduct of any kind are prohibited. Sexual assault and misconduct refer to sexual contact or behavior without the explicit consent of the other person.
Personal space and privacy should be respected. The following list provides examples of inappropriate conduct.
- Behaviors and comments that could make people feel uncomfortable are not acceptable. Examples include nudges, whistles, and winks. Don’t touch or flirt with people you don’t know.
- Certain conversations that could be perceived as harmless can be offensive. Don’t comment on appearance, perceived gender identity, or sexual orientation. Refrain from asking unrelated personal questions, such as, “Are you in a relationship?” Avoid discussing your own or someone else’s sex life, using explicit language, or making jokes about sex.
- Sexual contact is prohibited while using the Hitch App, including before the pickup and during a trip.
Follow up with our Customer Experience team as soon as possible if there were any concerns we can assist with.
We can only help when we know about any issues that may occur in a timely manner. We are here to help your ride be smooth and successful — so please do reach out to us if you need anything.
Rating your driver
When your ride ends, you'll be able to rate your driver on a scale from 1 to 5 stars. If you were satisfied with your driver, let them know.
Ratings less than 4 stars indicate that you were dissatisfied with some part of the drive. We use this feedback to help us constantly improve your experience. Please do let us know where we missed the mark.
Tips are not required but certainly appreciated by your driver. If you felt your driver did an exceptional job, feel free to leave them a tip and positive rating via our app.
Hitch prohibits any sort of discrimination against users based on race, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, marital status, gender identity, age, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. Such discrimination includes, but is not limited to, any user refusing to provide or accept services based on any of these characteristics. Any user found to have violated this prohibition will lose access to the Hitch platform. Applicable laws in certain jurisdictions may require and/or allow the provision of services by and for the benefit of a specific category of persons. In such jurisdictions, services provided in compliance with these laws and the relevant applicable terms are permissible under this policy.
We reserve the right to remove riders from the platform if we believe they are not operating within our TOS or standards of service.