In an effort to protect the health and well-being of our Hitch community, we will be enhancing our current COVID-19 response, effective immediately. When you must travel, let's do our part to further combat the spread of this virus.
We strongly recommend that all riders purchase private rides for their necessary travel with Hitch. To encourage social distancing for our rider & driver community, we have reduced the cost of all private rides by 50%. Private rides are rides that you do not share with any other passengers, other than those that may be in your party. We believe that private rides should be available to all that may need it in this trying time, especially as high-capacity bus and flight alternatives remain unsafe options.
The following policies will be enforced via driver and rider feedback, as well as personal verification. Confirmed cases of non-compliance may impact your ability to ride with Hitch during this pandemic.
Some basic facts about COVID-19 are:
Before the ride
- If you have a scheduled ride and are exhibiting COVID-19-like symptoms, have been exposed to suspected or confirmed individual/s with COVID-19, or have received a positive COVID-19 test, we expect that you will cancel your ride. You can cancel your ride via the 'trip' section of the app, on the left side menu. If you are within an hour of your scheduled ride, please reach out to our Customer Experience team via our chat to let us know - we will refund the cost of your ride. You are welcome back to ride with us once you have fully recovered. Following the CDC guidelines on that, we ask that you are at least 10 full days from suspected exposure to COVID-19 and 10 full days free from any COVID-19 like symptoms. If you have obtained confirmation of COVID-19 please ensure that you have had a resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath), and negative results of an authorized COVID-19 test.
- All riders in the vehicle are required to wear a mask throughout the entirety of the trip. You can expect the same from drivers. Your driver may have a mask available for you, should you forget one - but we cannot guarantee it. We strongly encourage you to bring your own to ensure that you have one. Your ride will be canceled without a refund or credit if you do not have one to put on at the start of the trip. You may reschedule for the next available departure, once you have a mask available. Additional fees will apply.
- All riders are required to wash and sanitize their hands before meeting your driver at the pick-up location. We recommend traveling with hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes for your personal use.
- While drivers are heavily sanitizing their own vehicles before and after every ride, we encourage you to do the same at the start of your trip. You may want to sanitize commonly touched surfaces that you will be in contact with. These areas may include:
- Door handles
- Trunk handles
- Door side panels
- Seat back pockets
During the ride
- All riders in the vehicle are required to wear a mask throughout the entirety of the trip. Drivers are mandated to do the same.
- Riders should expect to sit in the back seat area unless the front seat must be utilized. Contact with drivers, and other riders, should be at a minimum, and social distancing should be exercised within vehicles as best as possible.
- Riders will be asked to open their own doors and handle their own luggage in an effort to minimize close contact.
- Drivers will be regularly ventilating the vehicle when safe and appropriate, rolling windows down, and reducing the use of air-recirculation.
After the ride
- While not required, but to help our community stay safe, it is always helpful if you sanitize your areas as you exit the car at the conclusion of the ride.
- Please remove any leftover items, trash, wipes, or other debris of your own - as you would normally.
- Please reach out to our Customer Experience team if you have any concerns about your ride, your driver, other riders - or if anyone seems to be exhibiting symptoms. We ask this of all riders and drivers. We will keep this information confidential, and investigate fully each claim. We want to keep everyone safe during any necessary travel and ensure that our riders and drivers are held accountable to the same standards.
Post-Ride Verification Steps
Driver Rating Screen
To start, riders will be asked to confirm if their driver was wearing a mask during the entirety of the trip. We will use this information to enforce the mandatory mask requirement. This product update will be in effect on July 3, 2020.
Rider Rating Screen
Drivers will also see a similar screen to report any riders who were not wearing a mask during their trip. This product update will be in effect on July 3, 2020.
Please note that you will be asked to confirm that you have agreed to these updated terms before starting a ride with Hitch. These terms will be displayed via an in-app checklist prior to every ride.
Acceptance of these terms is necessary to uphold our standards as a safe and comfortable platform.